$ave money in $eptember
Thirty local businesses have agreed to partner with Boyd County Public Library during September to promote library usage and literacy. Both current patrons and new ones can get special discounts at those businesses throughout the month.
Twenty-eight of them will give a discount to those who show their card when they come to shop. The other two, Ashland Town Center and Ruby Tuesday, have donated coupons, which we will distribute to those who sign up for a card for the first time in September.
The following places will give a 10 percent discount to those who show a BCPL card:
- A Boutique, 1616 Carter Ave., Ashland (good on jackets only)
- Angel’s Cards & Gifts, Kyova Mall
- Ashland Sporting Goods, 2007 Carter Ave., Ashland
- Bert’s Pet Center, 375 Diederich Blvd., Ashland
- Checkers Tanning Salon, 1001 13th St., Ashland
- Craft Attic Quilt Shop, 2027 Hoods Creek Pike, Westwood
- Dairy Queen, 3300 13th St., Ashland
- Dakota Watch Co., Ashland Town Center (good on Dakota merchandise, repair service and battery installation)
- Don’s Men Shop, 1501 Winchester Ave., Ashland (excludes tuxedo rentals)
- Fields Flower Shop, 221 15th St., Ashland (excludes out-of-town orders)
- Frame Up Gallery/ Café Zeal, 1436 Winchester Ave., Ashland
- Katie’s Corner, 1450 Greenup Ave., Ashland (good on food items only)
- Living Naturally, 246 Russell Road, Ashland (excludes food and cosmetics)
- O’Charley’s, River Hill Drive, Ashland (excludes alcohol, and cannot be combined with 9 for $9.99 promotion)
- Petland, 341 Diederich Blvd., Ashland
- The Paperback Exchange, 1110 Pollard Road, Ashland
- The Trophy House, 2703 Louisa St., Catlettsburg
- Sweet Caroline’s Café, located in King’s Daughters Medical Center, Ashland
Several businesses are offering a 15 percent discount to BCPL card holders. They are:
- Charley’s Grilled Subs, in the Ashland Town Center
- E.J.’s Guitar and Music Shop, in the Kyova Mall
- Mystic Tanning Emporium, 1201 Carter Ave., Ashland
And a few others have special discount offers for those who flash their card:
- Aladdin’s Art Gallery, 728 13th St., Ashland: 20 percent off custom framing
- Arby’s (Ashland or Russell): 5 regular roast beefs for $5.95
- Gibbs Hardware, 942 13th St., Ashland: $5 off a purchase of $25 or more
- Love Bears All Gift Shop, 331 Summit Road: $10 off a purchase of $25 or more
- Neon Links Indoor Golf, in the Kyova Mall: 50 percent off a game
- Vanity, in the Ashland Town Center: 20 percent off a full-priced item
Sign-ups can be done at any branch during regular library hours. To get a card, a person needs to have a picture ID and proof of current residence, such as a recent utility bill. Parents or guardians must sign for those under 18.
Library cards are free for residents of Boyd County, and the surrounding Kentucky counties with which the library has reciprocal agreements, as well as Lawrence in Ohio; and Cabell and Wayne in West Virginia. Any Kentucky resident with a valid library card from their home county or city may also get a BCPL card.
Library Card Sign-Up Month is sponsored by the American Library Association and is a time when libraries across the country remind parents that a library card is the most important school supply of all. It was first observed in 1987.